Saturday, October 27, 2007

Even we have fears

My friend Karol came back from China last week and was aware as a tourist of the undercurrents which visitors are discouraged to question.

'You are right China is an amazing place to see and I was pleased to find there is a 'women's' movement especially against the one child per family rule - women are compulsorily sterilised afterwards, did you know? I knew about the rule but not the aftermath. Also the book 'Wild Swans' is banned in China, also interesting to find out.'

Karol's most poignant remark was left until last: 'I would be worried about my name going on the blog - it may affect future visa applications.'

And that, my dears is the point. Even we are afraid of the implications of free speech. Does this mean we have free speech? No! It means we most definitely do not have free speech when it comes to China.

(Needless to say I have changed her name. And if anyone else would like to comment anonymously, I will be happy to post comments on your behalf.)

No comments: