Monday, August 4, 2008

Bad News

Firstly I must convey my heartfelt condolences to the families of the Chinese policemen killed in Kashgar today. There is no excuse for violence. In so many ways it is counterproductive and serves to alientate people such as myself who have undertaken to support those in East Turkestan (Xinjiang Autonomous Region if you are Chinese) and the millions of Uighurs who in no way want their call for freedom to be answered with the death of others. It will also alientate the international friends who have supported Rebiya Kadeer in her quest to bring the plight of the Uighurs to the attention of world leaders. It certainly makes all our lives more difficult and it will not free Rebiyas children. Worse, it will lock them, and others like them, away for even longer.
It is fair to say that the Uighurs thoroughly dislike the Chinese. I think it is also fair to say that the Chinese government, by deliberately disenfrachising the original ethnic groups of the countries they have overrun, have more or less asked to be disliked. But violence breeds violence and there is no stopping it until all parties are too exhausted to continue and only then do they think to talk. Unfortunately the Chinese government is mired in outdated policy and strategy and thinks only to use force. Violence is wrong, but unsuprising.

When I was taking part in a demonstration in London earlier this year, I stopped to ask a Chinese gentleman why his group had paused for 2 minutes silence. He said that it was to remember the earthquake dead. I smiled at him, and before I had chance to offer my own sympathy, he turned on me saying ' Why do you laugh at us, why do you hate us so much.' I attempted to put the record straight, but he would have none of it. He was determined that I hated him. He was wrong. We are all in part victims of the propaganda put out by our various governments and react accordingly. Of course I do not hate the Chinese people, they are polite and charming. I do not hate anyone. I just campaign against repression.

No comments: