Wednesday, November 14, 2007

About a month ago I wrote to a few Heads of State, Prime Ministers etc. asking what they were prepared to do to help the Uighurs as their distant voices beg for help. Rhodri Morgan is the first to grace me with a respose, for which I thank him. Obviously I don't expect the Welsh Assembly to have too much clout in the field of international diplomacy (for my money international diplomants are pretty much deviod of what you and I call integrity anyway) but I nevertheless reproduce a relevant extract from the letter which refers to the UK China Human Rights Dialogue on 5th February 2007:

"The UK government also addressed wider issues of concern, including reported abuses in the Xianjiang Uighur Autonomous Region. We are concerned by the suppression of peaceful expression of political, cultural and religous rights and believe the Chinese government is using the pretext of counter-terrorism measures to further limit and abuse the ligitimate rights of the Uighur community and other ethnic groups. The UK government also handed over a list of individual cases of concern at the dialogue which included Rebiya Kadeer's children. The UK government continue to monitor these cases."

I bet all the 'disappeared', the prisoners of concience in torture chambers and the raped children in East Turkistan feel much better now.....

No comments: